To create distinctly Southern beer that celebrates the culinary and agricultural traditions of the South.
To pioneer a Southern Beer Economy through the act of commerce, where our purchases (and yours!) foster new jobs, create wealth, and encourage entrepreneurship within the agricultural South.
OUR MISSION & VISION IN PRACTICE
We embody our values in the beer we make. See how we realize these goals in our act of commerce, purchasing local ingredients.
We don’t pretend to have the all the answers to the question, “What is Southern beer?” Maybe we’ll never figure it out. But here’s what we believe so far:
- Southern beer pairs great with food.
- Beer is a key element to community, conversation, and the shared table. But beer is not the be-all, end-all.
- No one needs to apologize for crafting something balanced, simple, and refreshing. In fact, that’s the ultimate goal and compliment.
- Local adjuncts play an important role in Southern beer, emphasizing local terroir and celebrating seasonality. North Carolina doesn’t have a robust hops industry (yet) and two-row barley doesn’t thrive here (well…that seems to be changing!). True Southern beer gets creative by working with native flavors that DO thrive in the South. Just as Southern food flourished by its reliance on whole animal cooking and backyard gardens — Southern beer’s paucity of local hops and barley can be turned into a positive, if we double down on the goodness that does, in fact, flourish here.
- No matter what, the final product must be delicious. Experimenting is fun and noble, but we’re nothing without well-crafted beer. It may not be for everyone, but it damn well has to taste great and be free of flaws.