Just over a month ago, during American Craft Beer Week, Fullsteam held its first-ever Red Ribbon Contest. You may remember that the friendly competition revolved around cooking with Fullsteam beer, with recipes ranging from amazing Carver-battered fish tacos to tamales with a Working Man's Lunch mole.
Our winner was Jessica Wheeler's delightful and simple Rocket Sorbet. With only three ingredients, the Rocket Science IPA added a lot to the dish, as the beer's citrus notes perfectly complemented the fresh-squeezed Valencia orange juice.
With Jessica's permission, we are eager to share the recipe with you!
* Special Equipment – Ice Cream Maker*
- 1 cup Fullsteam Rocket Science IPA
- ½ cup Simple Syrup
Simple Syrup is made from combining 1 part granulated sugar to 1 part filtered water in a pot over low/medium heat until sugar is dissolved and liquid is simmering. Let syrup cool to room temperature and store in the refrigerator.
- ¼ cup Valencia Orange Juice (Fresh-Squeezed)
The type of orange is very important to match the profile of the beer without it being too ‘orangey’
- Pour beer into a glass and allow to de-carbonate for at least 30 minutes – this will help with the freezing of the alcohol.
- Combine all three ingredients in a freezer safe container and chill the mixture for 20-30 minutes.
- Start the ice cream maker and pour the chilled mixture into the machine.
- Process for 35 minutes (40 minutes if it appears to not be fully frozen).
- Remove sorbet from machine and place in a freezer safe container for at least 45 minutes to fully set.
Congrats to Jessica Wheeler, and many thanks to all our participants! Let's do this again!